The Ultimate Guide to Winter AC Maintenance
Although scheduling maintenance for your home’s AC system may not be at the top of your 2017 New Year’s Resolutions, there are a few important reasons it should be a priority. Let the best air conditioning company in Tampa Bay explain why your AC system needs winter maintenance.
If you’ve invested a lot of time and money into your Florida home, then it’s important that you protect this investment by performing some home maintenance steps for the winter season. One of the most vital parts of home maintenance is regular HVAC upkeep, as it ensures that you can rely on your AC and heating when you need it most. Keep reading for some do-it-yourself (DIY) tips to maintain your Florida home this winter.
Need to Schedule AC Maintenance Now? Call (727) 800-4148.
1. How to Get the Best AC Performance
In caring for your home, you’ve likely gotten into the good habit of changing your air conditioning filters regularly. Similarly, your routine may also include a fresh vacuum of carpeted areas several times a week and taking recyclables to the curb on pick-up day. A nice wipe-down of the fridge, a thorough dusting of living spaces and other cleaning tasks are also a priority for you because you value your home.
Did you know your AC system also requires annual attention? A good cleaning and a detailed inspection of your AC system each year will help to ensure your system is running well all year long. In their Home Energy Checklist, the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy recommends a fall and spring tune up of heating and cooling systems.
- Schedule Routine Maintenance: Air conditioning maintenance truly only needs to be done once a year for each. Maintenance should always be completed by a trusted professional who will know what to look for and how to service common parts. Inner components will be inspected, cleaned and repaired if needed.
- Adjust the Moisture and Humidity Levels: Generally speaking, humidity levels should be kept at around fifty percent. Although Florida is very humid year-round, winter weather often brings drier air, so you may need the help of a humidifier to raise moisture levels in the air.
2. How to Get Cleaner Indoor Air
Regularly maintaining your AC system is an effective method of keeping the air in your home clean. Without proper attention, you could be exposing your family to harmful pollutants trapped in your system, lowering the quality of the air in your home.
- Pay Attention to Indoor Air Quality: While some people may enjoy opening doors and windows as the temperatures drop, many people like to keep them closed to stay warm, which can contribute to poor indoor air quality. When possible, try opening up for a few minutes to let in fresh outdoor air. You might also consider investing in an air purification unit, which can help clean the air even when the weather outside is not comfortable.
3. How to Lower Your AC Expenses
A neglected AC system is often less energy efficient, resulting in a more costly electric bill each month. With dirt and debris safely removed, your system won’t have to work as hard to keep you comfortable. Be sure to remove any landscaping or debris that gathers close to your outdoor AC unit. Air duct cleaning is also essential to keeping your system running at it’s most efficient.
DIY Winter Air Conditioning Maintenance
While some tasks need the services of an HVAC professional, there are many things that you can do on your own to prolong your HVAC system’s life. Although cold weather and freezing temperatures are rare in Florida, there are some maintenance tasks you can do to prevent damage that cold fronts can cause. Here are some expert tips to preserve your HVAC during winter.
– Turn Off the Power
When the weather is cold enough, turn off the power to your HVAC unit. The exterior power circuit is housed in a small box mounted on the side of your home. Just lift the plastic or metal cover and you will find the switch. After flipping the switch to an off position, close the lid. Turning off the power of your AC helps to prevent the risk of electrocution while performing the maintenance tasks.
– Clean the AC
Sweep off twigs, leaves, and other debris on and surrounding the AC using a broom. Then use a hose to wash off dust, dirt, and bird droppings. After cleaning it, allow the unit to dry. Cleaning the unit prevents it from clogging and breaking down the next time you use it.
– Inspect the AC
Look for rust, cracks, leaks, or any other irregularities in the casing. Ensure the seals hold tight and are not cracked. These issues may seem benign, but they may cause major problems in the future.
– Cover the AC Unit
For really unusual freezing temps this winter, place a waterproof plastic or vinyl cover over your AC to insulate it. This prevents cracking and protects it from the elements and debris. You can often find special AC covers at your local home improvement store.
– Find an HVAC Contractor
If you find any anomalies in your AC unit during the inspection, contact us
Tampa Bay AC Maintenance with Blair’s Air
We have the necessary expertise to deal with any HVAC system issues that you might encounter during your DIY maintenance. Call us today or schedule a winter AC maintenance appointment online.